Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Milk It

Baseball is great. It's also my least favorite (major) sport. So on principal alone I shouldn't be writing about it for my first post. But I am Hernandez, so I soldier on.

SNY launched what can only be called "Keith Cam" during last night's Mets/Marlins game. Mex called the entire game from a spot directly behind home plate right at field level. Basically he was in the walkway the grounds crew uses for...honestly I don't know what they use it for. Probably card games.

(I assume the new Shea Stadium - fuck that "CitiField" nonsense - will have seats behind home plate instead of a walkway. Every other stadium does, illustrated to hilarious effect during a recent Mets/Dodgers game in L.A. where during every at bat, ET's Mary Hart and Beverly Hills 90210's Ian Ziering could clearly be seen in the front row. Hope you're enjoying La-La Land Torre!)

Anyway, "Keith Cam" was a fantastic experiment that I hope they do more often. He was able to pick up on the mechanics of the pitchers and hitters and offer real insight into what was going on. For instance, did you know that Johan Santana has a big circle on his slider, as opposed to a tight circle? Gary Cohen, who was up in the booth with Ron Darling, called a pitch a changeup, but Mex corrected him and said it was a slider. The reason he knew is because when you throw a slider, the red seams on the ball create either a big or a tight circle, depending on the pitcher. He said that's what he always looked for when he was batting. As someone not blessed with amazing eyesight, that's astounding to me.

Great stuff, and the best part is that at one point, while he was breaking down someone's batting stance, he actually paused mid-sentence and said, "No thank you, I don't eat dairy" to a fan who was offering him ice cream.

He's Keith Hernandez!

2 comments:

Keith said...

Awesome feature. I'm gonna have to check out a Mets game on SNY soon. Maybe when they start playing well.

Hernandez said...

Does winning three in a row count? I'm not sure myself.