Wednesday, May 28, 2008

KG

I've got Game 5 on pause, (Ray Allen just hit his 3rd three of the game, and maybe the decade?) Hernandez, we've talked a lot about how you don't like KG's game because he can't take a game over, the way that Pierce did in Game 7 against the Cavs. Fair enough. He's also not a team leader. And let's be fair, it's his first year on a new squad. Both these things will keep him from reaching elite status.

In fact, KG may be the best role player ever. Fair enough. But no one, save Paul Pierce, deserves an NBA ring more than KG. He plays his game hard and with intensity. He gets his numbers, but you never get the sense watching him that he's after his numbers.

And yet, he recognizes his limitations. Or in your words, he's a pussy. But he stays within his game.

It would be a great story if he turned into MothraShaq and put up a 40-30-10, and for one second every game, you see that angry gleam in his eye, but at this stage in his career it ain't happening. Still, he's the man.

The Celtics will probably beat the Pistons in this series because Billups is hurt, which is sad, because now the Celts will never have their backs against the wall. I also don't like how they match up against the Lakers.

But KG is the shit.

1 comment:

Hernandez said...

I don't hate KG, I just hate the perception that he's a superstar. He is, as you said, a role player, and a really good one. But everyone needs to stop selling this guy as something special.

I wouldn't be unhappy if he won a title. I can respect how he plays defense and is unselfish. In this era of the spoiled, me-first athlete he's worthy of praise. But that's a pretty low bar to set. I mean, honestly, you can't think of ANYONE else besides he and Paul Pierce who deserve a ring more? That's just ridiculous. I can think of about 20 guys! Go ahead, dare me.

(What has Paul Pierce done to deserve a ring? He carried a mediocre Celtics team and made it slightly better than mediocre for a few seasons? I don't get it. Oh, and he got stabbed. I guess he deserves brownie points for surviving that.)

KG comes up small in the clutch, which even you admit. That's why the Pistons will win in seven because Pierce isn't going to duplicate his amazing Game 7 in Round Two where they needed his 41 to barely squeak by a bad Cleveland team. I think the Celts have a better chance at winning the series in six, to tell you the truth, because Detroit could mail it in assuming they're going to win at home.

And the winner of the series will still get waxed by either the Spurs or Lakers.