Thursday, May 29, 2008

Jimmy Two Times

I don't hate KG, I just hate the perception that he's a superstar. He is, as Keith said, a role player, and a really good one. But everyone needs to stop selling this guy as something special.

I wouldn't be unhappy if he won a title. I can respect how he plays defense and is unselfish. In this era of the spoiled, me-first athlete he's worthy of praise. But that's a pretty low bar to set. I mean, honestly Keith, you can't think of ANYONE else besides he and Paul Pierce who deserve a ring more? That's just ridiculous. I can think of about 20 guys! Go ahead, dare me.

(What has Paul Pierce done to deserve a ring? He carried a mediocre Celtics team and made it slightly better than mediocre for a few seasons? I don't get it. Oh, and he got stabbed. I guess he deserves brownie points for surviving that.)

KG comes up small in the clutch, which even Keith admits. That's why the Pistons will win in seven because Pierce isn't going to duplicate his amazing Game 7 in Round Two where they needed his 41 to barely squeak by a bad Cleveland team. I think the Celts have a better chance at winning the series in six, to tell you the truth, because Detroit could mail it in assuming they're going to win at home.

And the winner of the series will still get waxed by either the Spurs or Lakers.

7 comments:

Keith said...

Of active players, I can't think of anyone. Iverson, maybe.

It's clear that Garnett can't create his own shot. But the team doesn't run their offense through him! They play Perkins in the low post.

Paul Pierce? What did he do? At the age of 21 he took his mediocre team to the Eastern Conference finals, with Antoine Walker and Rodney Rogers. He stayed on the team when they sucked. And as you mentioned, he put 41 in Game 7 against Cleveland. He's a big game player.

Clutch is overrated. Kobe's been clutch for years, but it took the highway train robbery of Pau Gasol to get them to this point. Hedo Turkoglu is the go-to man for Orlando. He sucks. The Celtics win because of their defense, and Garnett is the kingpin.

Now that the Lakers have won, I do agree they're shoo-ins.

Hernandez said...

The Celtics don't run their offense through KG because they CAN'T run it through him! If he could create his own shot they'd do it. That's what keeps him from being an elite player. And he knows it too, which is why he pussies out and stays as far away from the ball as he can when it comes to crunch time.

I actually agree with you that being clutch is overrated. But that doesn't change the fact that some players ARE clutch, and some aren't. KG ain't.

Paul Pierce is a talented, underachieving, wildly inconsistent player. He took his mediocre team to the finals of an absolutely horrible conference. I'm not giving him too much credit for that.

I'm taking my list of players who deserve rings to the main page.

Keith said...

I wrote in the original KG post that he wouldn't be considered an elite player. So now you're arguing with yourself. Or maybe your penis.

Keith said...

And Paul Pierce just cinched two consecutive playoff-round-clinching series. Where does he underachieve? Did he forget to spank you when he was fucking you last night?

Keith said...

clinched, not cinched.

Keith said...

fist, not spank.

Hernandez said...

Paul Pierce found some time in between fucking me to finally show up for the Eastern Conference Finals last night. Congratulations Paul, I missed you in the first five games!

He got 27 in Game 6, and in the previous games he got 16, 16, 11, 26 (in a loss) and 22. Pretty inconsistent.

He's had two good clinching games in the last two series, and he deserves credit for that. But he did it against a horrible Cleveland team and a Pistons squad that had two imposters wearing Rasheed Wallace and Tayshaun Prince jerseys.

What has he done in his career to justify, "He deserves a ring more than almost every other player in the NBA" status? It's absolutely ridiculous. At least 10 other players on my list deserve it more than him. He's a good, solid player, nothing more.

And there's a reason he got stabbed - because he's a punk.